***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Makin' Me Proud.......................

I just had to post about how proud I am of Myshel and Vance, so that someday when they're driving me crazy, I'll have this reminder that they're not always that way......

Yesterday I was talking with my neighbor and she told me that housing had given her a notice to rake up all the leaves out of her yard and several other things needed to be done around her house. She had 2 days to get it done. She was pretty upset and frustrated about it. Her yard did need some work, but she has 5 kids, 2 of them are toddlers, and 2 infants (twins) and her husband is deployed. So when Myshel and Vance got home from school, I explained her situation and, expecting grumbling, asked them to go help clean her yard. To my surprise, they didn't complain, they just said, "ok" and went out and did it, by themselves. It was a big job and the neighbor's kids kept getting in their way making it hard to work. It took them quite awhile to finish. I knew that they didn't want to do it, but they finished with a smile on their face and not one complaint. I told them how proud I was that they were willing to help some one else and that they should be proud of themselves, too. I want my kids to know the value of service to others and maybe, just maybe, they're learning that lesson. They're good kids. I need to remember that when things are frustrating!

3 Comments:

Jan said...

What a wonderful gift that you are teaching them. I think you should feel so proud that they are so willing to serve. It probably has a lot to do with and your service to others.

Your favorite sister said...

That is so great. Doing service with a cheerful heart is not always easy, so I am glad that they rose to the occasion. What good kids you have!

Unknown said...

That is impressive...no whining or complaining? I know your neighbor appreciated their service and I'm sure Myshel and Vance felt good when it was done. Doing chores for others is a lot more fun than doing your own!

I loved reading about your stake dance. What a great idea! I think I'll pass the idea along to our stake youth leaders. Myshel looks great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...