***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Monday, May 18, 2009

Ahhhh, The Humiliation......

Ok, This is right up there with my most embarrassing moments ever.....

I went to Target.....I love Target by the way. I was by myself, no kids, no distractions, nothing. So, I get out of my car and start to walk through the parking lot to the store. I don't know how it happened, I don't why, it just did. I tripped, my ankle twisted a little and I tripped. It was weird, too, because it was kind of in slow motion for me a little bit. I remember thinking, "what did I trip on, there's nothing there?" and then I remember thinking "is there anyway that I could just trip and some how not fall down and completely humiliate myself....nope, you're going down." I really thought all that coherently, before I hit the ground. I fell with enough force that it knocked me on my backside.....just so that you get the whole picture....I tripped on nothing apparently, fell on my knees and the rolled to my behind, contents of my purse flying everywhere..... Nice, huh.......

Well, while I'm feeling completely stupid, picking myself up off the ground, dusting myself off, and trying to inventory my clothes for embarrassing tears, I realize that the car I parked next to had 2 guys sitting in it. They had a great view of "the incident" and were rolling around laughing about it. Great, of course there's an audience! So, once I checked myself to make sure I'm ok, I start to pick up my phone, my wallet, the lotion and pens and chapstick and everything else that flew out of my purse when I hit the ground.

After I gathered myself and all my belongings, trying to muster even the smallest amount of dignity, I start to walk toward the store again. A lady jumps out of her car and rushes over to me and asks if I'm ok. I little late than never, I think, but at least she didn't sit in her car and laugh at me. She looked terrified, like I'd fallen off a cliff or something and all I could think was, I must have looked sooo ridiculous when I fell..... I assured her I was fine and that it was only my pride that was hurt, feeling ever more humiliated now because my audience was even bigger than I'd thought.

I walked through the parking lot and got to the store, turned around to look back and realized that there was 4-5 cars with people sitting in them, that were lucky enough to watch me fall on my butt! (And only one of them checked to make sure I was ok)

Chad and Myshel enjoyed my humiliation, too, when I told them about it later. It bothered me for the rest of the day!

2 Comments:

Janice said...

Isn't it horrible to know that very small statistic? (1 out of 4 people) I know sometimes we duck and look the other way as to not humiliate someone - usually it's AFTER we know they are ok! I'm sorry Cindy - I'm glad you are alright though!

Anonymous said...

Did you ever see Fried Green Tomatoes??? Where the lady screams TOWANDA, and drives her car into the young chicks car then says "I'm older and have more insurance"...yeah, I would have gotten in the van and rammed the car with the guys in it! -Christy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...