***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day Chatter

Yesterday's storm was nuts. It snowed about 10 inches here and then around 11AM started to rain. It would change from freezing rain to just rain off and on through the rest of the day. The streets all over town were flooding because all the storm drains were blocked with snow. It was just a slushy, icy mess! We're considering ourselves lucky, though, because we never lost our power. A lot of people around the state did. My kids were making we crazy yesterday, too. By this morning I was ready to boot them out the door to school. They have all next week off for their winter break. I hope next week goes better than yesterday did!

This morning Noah was grumpy about his pants. I didn't have his favorite ones washed and he had to wear the ones he doesn't like. It wasn't as ugly as it's been in the past, but it wasn't pretty either. So, after finally getting him ready to go, driving 7 miles to his school, we find out that they's cancelled it for the day! Grrrrrr! Gee, it's dejavu! It's like I've heard this story before about 100 times! Noah is by far my most challenging child. He is so headstrong. When he decides he wants something a certain way, it's really hard to change his mind. He makes me want to pull my hair out.......a lot! He's started throwing a fit about his socks, too! We all know that that comes from his dad's side of the family, don't we!!!!!!

So today is Valentine's Day........Chad has duty, so I won't be seeing much of him. That kind of puts a damper on the day, but I've actually spent a lot of Holiday/Birthday/Anniversaries without Chad around at all, so it's not that unusual. At least I'll get to see him today AND he'll be home tomorrow and we can go out then.

I always put a valentine present and candy out for my kids so that they'll see it first thing in the morning. I always tell them it's from the Valentine Fairy. They know it's from me, but it's a fun little game. But, this Valentine's morning, the Valentine Fairy didn't come! I decided to do it later in the day after the kids get home from school. That way they won't be eating the candy before they leave.

Also, this year we decided that we would all make valentines for each other, instead of just from me! That way the kids are thinking about each other and mom and dad, instead of just what they'll get from me! It also makes Chad have to come up with a valentine for everyone instead of me doing all the work! Plus, I know the schools don't do much for Valentine's Day anymore. I remember we always had a big party at school and we would make our own Valentine boxes. We would get to go around and put our valentine cards in the different kid's boxes. There was usually a contest for the most creative box, too. I wish they still did things like that.

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day with your sweethear or family or both!

1 Comment:

Laurie said...

Cindy, This post doesn't come up on your page but it's in my feeds. Wierd! I'm so sorry about your weather. I would be way too stressed to drive anywhere in that. I like your idea of the Valentine's Fairy. I hope your day turned out great and the date with your Hubby on the next day was fun! Even though you've done it many times before, I'm sure you still always miss him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...