***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Grumble, Grumble

Noah has a thing about his clothes! He's very picky about what he wears. There is very little rhymn or reason to his preferences, though, which makes it very hard to please him. He'll wear a pair of pants one day and then not want to touch them again! It's very frustrating. (I know you're starting to laugh, Donna, but it's not funny!----I blame you for cursing me with this!)

I knew that getting him dressed for school was going to be a challenge some mornings. I expected it, so I wasn't surprised this morning at all when his "I'm not wearing that" attitude started. I was surprised at the magnitude of it, though. After deciding that he wasn't going to wear the clothes that we picked out the night before, he put on a pair of his favorite pants. They were just too small and they had some little holes in them, too (who knows where they came from) I just couldn't let him wear them and I told him he couldn't wear them. What followed was an ugly display of tears, anger and meltdowns. Basically he decided he wasn't wearing any other pants and that was that. I hate having these kinds of confrontations with him. I have to pick my battles with Noah and I hate it when it has to be over clothes. I kept trying to give him choices of things he could wear, but all all he would do is just get mad. I knew we were going to run out of time to get him to school. I told him he had to get dressed or we'd be late and his answer, "I don't want to go, anyway".

Oh, he frustrates me. Finally, after an hour and a half, he was dressed, and we were walking out the door.............and the phone rang. It was Noah's school. They were cancelling classes because all the teachers were sick with the flu......WHAT!!!!!!! I just spend an hour and a half getting my stubborn little boy dressed for school and they cancelled it! I couldn't believe it. When I told Noah that he wasn't having school today, he asked me if he could change his clothes. I told him he had to stay in them for awhile because of the fit he threw about getting dressed. Which led to another 20 minutes of anger and tears on his part. He has calmed down now and doesn't seem to care! Surely there must be a "how-to" manual on being a good mom--because I really need it!

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

No school after all that?!! ugh. Getting the clothes ready the night before has worked for our girls, so I don't know what to tell ya for Noah. Did he help pick out his clothes the night before? Let us know if you come up with a different plan that works...we may need to use it in the future.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...