"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's Pouring . . .

It's been awhile since I posted, longer than I thought. It's been a crazy few weeks at our house. It seems that the saying "when it rains, it pours" really is true. Between kids, summer, family, migraines, church, school coming, Myshel's job and starting college, the navy, vehicles, and all the everyday house stuff, it's been pouring like crazy around here.

Some of the things I'll post about, some I won't. I'll start with the navy, because it seems to enjoy throwing my life upside down. About 2 weeks ago Chad found out that they'd let him take an earlier leave (He was planning on coming home in September for about a week and a half) and he'd be able to stay a week longer. We were pretty excited. The day that Chad was going to put in the official request, his ship got word that they were being deployed a month early and all leave was canceled. We were crushed. It looked like we'd be going 10 months without seeing Chad at all. We always knew that was a possibility when he left and we stayed here, but it was devastating nonetheless.

The next few days we spent waiting on a special request for leave. It was a long shot and we never really expected to get it, but Chad called me on a Friday night and said that he'd been approved for one week of leave and it started the next night. He asked me to check into plane tickets for that Sunday. ----I don't advise buying plane tickets 36 hours before you need them unless you absolutely have to ---- really expensive!!!

So Chad was on a plane out of Norfolk at 5:45 Sunday morning. It was great to have him home even for just a week. It was terrible saying good-bye again, especially knowing that it would be 8 months before he'd be back from deployment. To add to the stress and frustration, his flight back to Norfolk was canceled and we had to scramble to get him to Boston to catch a plane first thing Monday morning. Thank goodness for friends!

Chad slept, or tried to sleep, in the Boston airport Sunday night, caught his flight at 6:30AM, got into Norfolk around 10AM and went straight to work until 7PM, slept for a few hours and had to stand watch from 1AM- 4AM. Not a very fun couple of days for him.

Chad also was told that the deployment was extended a few weeks and that they wouldn't be pulling into port for the first four months. That's not the kind of news that either of us wanted to hear.

It's been pouring . . . I'm really hoping for a slow drizzle instead!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...