***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Friday, November 28, 2008

Let Her Eat Cake!

I made Myshel 2 cakes for her birthday. The first one, kind of a gag cake, was a guinea pig. Maybe I should explain a little..... When we lived in Virginia, Myshel had a dream, more like a nightmare about a guinea pig attacking her. She came running and screaming into my bedroom at 2:30 in the morning and scared me to death. (Chad was deployed, so I was alone, even more scary) She told me that a guinea pig was scratching at her face and when she jumped out of bed and turned around to look at her pillow, it was sitting there staring at her, so she ran into my room.

Unfortunately for Myshel, her nightmare has become a little family joke about guinea pigs attacking. We'll scratch at her bedroom door and make little wheeet, wheeet guinea pig noises. She won't admit it, but she thinks it's funny, too. So, I just couldn't resist making her a guinea pig cake for her 16th birthday. I thought it turned out rather cute. The pan says, "Happy Birthday Myshel, See you in your dreams!" Ornery aren't we!I couldn't just make the guinea pig because that would be mean, wouldn't it. This is her "real" Sweet 16 Birthday cake. She loved it, so all was good.
It was the first time I'd worked with fondant. I think it turned out pretty good. If I can get it to taste better, I'll like it a whole lot more. The electricity went out while I was piping the white on top, so most of that was done by candlelight. It says "Happy Sweet 16, Myshel" on the top in pink.

We had fun with her cakes this year and I think that she liked them a lot, too.



7 Comments:

Kids Cooking Activities said...

You are getting to be amazing cake decorator. You'll have to show me how someday. I've been trying and unfortunately my talent is lacking and I really don't like it-too stressful for me.

I bought fondant this summer and haven't used it yet. One of these days...

Janice said...

Cindy, what an amazing talent you have!! I've started to get "creative" with my cakes this year. I guess I have another 13 years to catch up to your great talent!

Little Hensley Fam said...

the guinea pig cake is amazing! great job! If I could make a cake look like that I'd go pro! lol! The other cake is awesome too by the way! Let me know if you figure out how to make fondant taste good!

Meredith said...

Great guinea pig cake- lol! How does it feel to have a 16 year old daughter?!

Unknown said...

Those cakes are amazing, Cindy! I'm glad Myshel was a great sport with the guinea pig cake. :-)

I can't believe Myshel is 16!

Jan said...

Sorry I missed the birthday fun. That cake is so great. It really turned out good. It is funny about the dream too. Appropriate.

Hope it was all fun.

Corrine said...

ok one: amazing cake decorator
two: that is just too funny! so funny.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...