***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Monday, October 6, 2008

Telling In or Telling Out?

My sister and I were talking about our kids this morning and we both commented about the tattling that goes on in our houses. It reminded me of something I read at my kid's school counselor's office.

Telling In....
*I don't have a problem
*People are safe
*Nobody needs help
.....so, I'm telling to get someone IN trouble.

Telling Out.....
*Someone is having a problem
*Someone is unsafe, or will be
*Someone needs help
......so, I'm telling to get someone OUT of trouble.

I really liked these. For me, it gives the perfect definition for tattling. When the kids come to "tattle" on someone, Chad and I have been getting in the habit of asking, "Are you telling IN or telling OUT?" At the very least, it's made them stop and think about which one they are doing. Maybe in the long run, it will help eliminate the tattling all together.

2 Comments:

Your favorite sister said...

That is the best!!! I keep getting so frustrated with my kids because all they do is tell on each other! And of course it is over the DUMBEST things. I am going to use this and maybe the tattling will end at my house! One can hope right?!

Unknown said...

I like the telling in or telling out question. Thanks for letting us know about it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...