***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Raspberry Jam............Yum!

Saturday, Chad took the kids on a "hike" on a trail that's right be our house. They came home telling me that there were wild raspberries everywhere! I was so excited, but didn't know if I could pick them or not. I asked around and found out that I could.So, the kid's and I went and picked raspberries Monday morning. We were rained on for about 10-15 minutes.......a nice, refreshing drench! We were soaking wet and I told the kids we should leave and come back the next morning, but they wanted to stay. I was glad that we did. We were wet, but we got lots of raspberries and we wouldn't have to come back! They were so yummy, too!

We came home and made jam. I even got more from them than I thought I would! I love it when that happens. I made some canned jam and freezer jam. (That way if there's any left when we move, the movers will pack the canned jam!---military wife---always have to be thinking about that next move---otherwise, it would have been all freezer jam) We didn't have enough to freeze any berries, which I would have loved to have done, but maybe next year!

But, the news gets better and better, there are blackberry bushes all over the place there, too! So, in a couple more weeks, we'll be back over there picking blackberries! That means we'll have blackberry jam and hopefully some frozen berries! The jam is so good and I am so grateful for this little surprise blessing!

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome! We have some raspberries on our land, but I've never picked them, so I'm not sure if there's enough to make anything with them. One of these days I should find out. That jam sure looks yummy. :-)

Your favorite sister said...

I love raspberrie jam! It is my favorite kind. The kids always want strawberry but rasp. is totally my favorite. And kudos to you for thinking ahead!

I was going to tell you, I am the primary secretary in my branch!

Laurie said...

I went and got strawberries the other day. I froze them to use and can some later. My freezer tripped the plug and everything thawed. Now my berries are refrozen in liquid and I can't use them individually anymore. I guess I'll be canning all of them.

Those berries are beautiful! What a find! And there's blackberries also? Very cool! Raspberries are my most favorite berry and I love all berries! What a fun thing to do with your kids.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...