***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Popham Beach....

On Monday we went to Popham Beach. It's past Bath, past Phippsburg, down to the end of the peninsula. It's a nice beach with SAND!!!!

Maybe I should first tell you, that my kids are spoiled!!!! They really are, and just don't know it. They are used to going to the beach and having warm water! By this time of year in Virginia, the ocean water is pretty warm, by August, it's in the 70's! And, all the beaches in Virginia are sandy. That's not the case in Maine! There are a lot of rocky beaches and pebbly beaches, but not a lot of sandy beaches. In fact most sandy beaches in Maine you have to pay to get to. So, we decided that we'd pay to go to Popham Beach (They charge per person, I might add, not by the car!!!! Maine sure knows how to make money, I guess) Anyway, the kids were so excited to go. We kept telling them that the water would be really cold, but they didn't seem to care...............until they got in it!
McKaylie and Noah played in the water for awhile with Chad, but were pretty content to come play in the sand with me for the majority of the time that we were there. (And yes, I know that McKaylie's swim suit is a two-piece and I should be teaching her that it's not modest......I agree with you......the fact is, when we bought that suit for her, it didn't show her tummy and we didn't realize she'd grown so much until it was too late to do anything about it. So, I let her wear an immodest swim suit to the beach that day! It might be hard to believe, but I have many moments of bad mothering!)
This is a picture of Vance. He's the person below the wave, that you can only see his head and shoulders. He stayed out in the water the entire time we were there. He didn't care that it was cold. He had such a great time in the waves. Myshel's the one standing up in the white shirt. It took her awhile to get out there, but once she ventured out, she stayed out there with Vance the rest of the time.

This is a great beach. It had some great waves coming in, but it was really shallow for quite a ways out. So even though it doesn't look like it, the water wasn't even up to their waists when they stood up.
This is my favorite picture of the day! Myshel's first "taste" of the cold water. She's in the white shirt with the look of shock on her face! Love it!

Here's McKaylie with her fairy house. This is what she worked on after getting out of the water. Fairy houses can only be made with things found in nature. The tunnel leads to the other side which is covered by wood and seaweed. She was really proud of it and I was proud of her! She did a great job!

1 Comment:

Janice said...

Cindy - I'm glad you found me! I've been wondering how you guys are and what is going on in your neck of the woods. I will definitely keep checking in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...