***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Thursday, July 17, 2008

My 20th.......

Here's a picture of my 20th High School Reunion, which I did not attend. It was held over the 4th of July this year. I actually had absolutely no desire to attend it, either. Some of my friends around here were surprised when I told them that and I got the typical question, "why!?!?" So, I decided that I'd kill several birds with one stone and post about it. First of all, I'm not one of those people who would go back to high school if I was given the chance, too much drama for me and not really all that enjoyable. I did meet my husband there, so I suppose that's one good thing about high school, but for me there's little else to "celebrate" about it. I had a few good friends, but most were older and graduated before I did. I had some really great friends who lived in different towns than I did. Some just made choices I wasn't ok with, and others, I guess just weren't as good of friends as I thought they were. I wasn't popular, but I didn't ever mind that either. I guess in the end, high school was just a stage in my life I needed to get through to move on with the rest of my life. That sounds a little cold, doesn't it, but I think that's fairly accurate.

Just after high school was a hard time for me, too. I had a friend who I thought was a great friend, one who really knew me. It turned out in the end that she was much more willing to believe anything bad about me from some one else than she was to believe me. That hurt, a lot. Obviously, she didn't know me at all or she wouldn't have believed those things. Even when I reached out to her years later, she came across very snobby, with that sort of "high and mighty" kind of attitude. It was hurtful all over again. I think that was my final straw with high school and all that/who came with it. It was just easier to cut all "ties" than to have to be hurt again. Which is really silly, because I don't think that she hurt me intentionally, and I don't think that anyone else I went to high school with would try to hurt me, or have any reason to, either. Maybe it's just a self-defense mechanism that kicked in, that I didn't even know I had.

Anyway, long story short (It's too late for that isn't it?) high school was not my favorite time in life. It reminds me of being alone on a lot of Friday nights and of hurtful times. I'm not scarred from it, but that doesn't mean I want to go back and "dig up old bones" either. Besides, it's a running joke in our house that if we ever did go to my reunion, there would probably be more people that recognized Chad, than me!

4 Comments:

Kids Cooking Activities said...

My thoughts on high school exactly.

I never did like "her" anyway. She always seem to be a snob from the beginning. =}

Unknown said...

I wouldn't go back to high school either. I went to my 10th year reunion 5 years ago. It was fun seeing old classmates, but it didn't make me wish that we were all together again.

Janice said...

Hey there Cindy! I wouldn't bother going to my HS reunion either. I moved half way through high school and unfortunately moved into a school where practically everyone knew each other since kindergarten! So, needless to say the friend I have from High School that I care about - I see her throughout the year when I go visit my parents. To me, that's the only person I really care about seeing!

Laurie said...

Amen!!!! I couldn't have summed up high school any better. My 20 is in a couple years and I will NOT be attending. I can't even remember names or events anymore and I was sure I would never forget. I'm glad I did. So, that is one more thing we have in common. Funny!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...