***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Thursday, March 13, 2008

We Didn't Forget............

Ok, so last night was mutual, where the young men and young women have an activity together. Chad took the kids and dropped them off and then came home. We talked and watched TV and put McKaylie and Noah to bed, all the while thinking in the back of our heads, "we'll pick them up at 8:30". I don't know why we were thinking that, they are always done at 8PM, but last night, 8:30 was on our brains. At about 8:10, Chad said that he heard my phone ringing.....maybe I should explain first, that about a month or so ago we got rid of our landline and just have our cell phones (maybe I'll have to blog about that). Anyway, it's fine most of the time, but I always forget to carry my phone around with me when I'm at home, so if I go upstairs, I can't hear the phone ringing downstairs. You would think after more than a month, I would remember to carry it with me, but I don't.....So, Chad hears my phone and rushes down to answer it. He didn't get there in time. There was no message left and so we didn't think much about it.
*
A little while later Chad left to pick up the kids. Just after he left the phone rang again. It was Vance's YM's president, "I was just calling to see if you'd left yet to pick up your kids, or if you just wanted me to drop them off." It was obvious that he wanted to get home. I apologized and told him that Chad was on his way. I felt really stupid. It wasn't that we had forgotten them, though, we just had the wrong time stuck in our heads!
*
Myshel was fuming when Chad got there to pick them up. Apparently she ranted about it all the way home. She had tried to call several times! The guilt was setting in. When I talked with her after they got home, I reminded her that we don't usually pick them up late and that we are human and make mistakes, but that we were really sorry. She just scowled at me, the scowl that she got from her dad......the "I really kind of hate you, right now" scowl. I smiled and said "hello you" (read about this here), which made her fight a smile and tell me to stop. I even got her to laugh a little. (Yeah, it still works!!!)
*
I did feel really bad about making them wait and rather dopey that we were thinking they were done at 8:30, after 8 months of picking them up at 8PM. It must be old age!

3 Comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

They'll get over it! I forgot my son at school one day.

I love the "hello you" thing you do with your daughter. Too cool. Something that connects you and even helps break the tension during arguments. Awesome.

Maine Mom said...

It's like you said, you're human (as we all are!) and are allowed mistakes too. At least you didn't completely forget about them. :-)

Unknown said...

P.S. I finally did the food meme!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...