***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Just Another Monday......


Yesterday was frustrating! McKaylie woke up complaining that she didn't want to go to school. This actually happens a lot on Monday mornings with her and Noah, but they usually come around after they've been up for awhile. So, McKaylie was complaining about not wanting to go to school and Noah's complaining about not wanting to go to speech (another one I hear a lot). He kept trying to "make a deal" with me, that if he goes to school, I won't make him go to speech....Where does he get this stuff??? I was tired myself and didn't want to do anything either. However, I am a mom and know that it's my job to "make" them do what they're suppose to be doing.........McKaylie ended up staying home and Noah didn't go to speech! Sometimes, I think I really suck at this mom stuff! Technically, the speech thing wasn't due to my lack of good mothering skills. His therapist called and re-scheduled--coincidence, maybe, maybe not! Either way, I was grateful that I didn't have to take on that battle, especially since McKaylie was not forced to go to school. I could already hear, "it's not fair", ringing in my ears!
*
I really feel like sometimes they just need a break from everything and so, I really wasn't that upset about McKaylie staying home. She hasn't missed very many days of school this year and she's also, usually, really good about going. Although I was ok with it, I still didn't make it fun and easy for her. I still felt that she needed to realize that being at school was a better choice. She couldn't play the PS2 or the computer, she had to spend a good part of the day reading, and I also made her turn the TV off while I read/prepared my lesson for church next Sunday. By 11AM she was asking me to take her to school. I told her no. I figured that by the end of this boring day at home, she'd be more than ready for school the next day and I was right. She was up and dressed by the time I came back from picking Myshel up from seminary at 7AM. I think she realized that nothing fun really happens while she's gone and that school is much more exciting! Perhaps one lesson learned. Noah, on the other hand, woke up this morning telling me that he wasn't going to speech again today! I think that battle's never-ending!

3 Comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

thanks for visitng my blog!
i see you're a military spouse like i am. lots of pros and cons to this life we've chosen.

i laughed at this post. my son was saying he didn't feel well last week... coincidentally right after receiving a brand new video game... i said he could stay home and he said, "okay! i'll be on gamecube." i said OOOH NOOO... and he about died. it was fun for me.
way to be the mom in charge. :O)

Laurie said...

That sounds like our Monday mornings. I usually have at least one home on Mondays. I don't let them do fun stuff, they have to work. Funny thing, they like it. They like to hang out with me. But they are happy to go back on Tuesday. I agree, some times they just need a break. And I need one also.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Sometimes I think kids just need a break. I've been known to give mine a day off here and there. I don't think it hurts anything, especially when they know it's a special thing.

You're a great mom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...