***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Secret Keepers

My kids exchange names for Christmas. Last week I took Noah and helped him pick out his present for McKaylie. Actually the only thing I helped with was paying for it. I told him on the way home that he couldn't tell McKaylie what it was. It was suppose to be a surprise. I really expected him to tell, but I thought I'd at least try. He surprised me. He didn't tell her.

I took Myshel and McKaylie to get their presents tonight. Myshel has Noah and McKaylie has Vance. I reminded McKaylie on the way home not to tell Vance what she had bought him and then I added not to tell what Noah's present was either. I didn't know if she could keep the secret either.

McKaylie was home for less than 5 minutes and was spilling the beans. Actually, it's worse than that. She told Noah that she'd tell him what his present was if he told her what hers was. Of course, he gave in. So, she gave away Myshel's present! and then told Noah what she got for Vance and he told Vance. I couldn't believe it! Myshel is the only one that doesn't know what her sibling gift is.

I told Chad that next year she doesn't get to come with anyone else when they get their present. He said she'd be lucky if she gets to come at all to pick the present for her sibling gift.

4 Comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

It's so hard for them at that age, isn't it? I'm about ready to take all the presents away from under the tree because my 6 year old can't leave them alone!

Maine Mom said...

McKaylie!(I laugh while typing that...I'm sure she is super excited about exchanging gifts and getting gifts.) Our kids picked names last year, but this year Zoe wanted to buy for Emily so we're having Zoe and Emily buy for each other and Eleanor and Zach buying for each other. Of course I use the word buying loosely here! I'm surprised Eleanor hasn't told Zach what she got for him because she is so anxious for him to open it.

Thanks for participating in the Christmas hoopla! I enjoyed reading it. I hope you enjoy your breakfast before opening presents. I think it's fun to drag out the morning a little and to get some good food into the children before they pig out on chocolate and other goodies. That's neat that Vance came up with the idea. :-)

Life ticks on said...

My kids never know what they are giving LOL! They are as surprised by it as the reciever... heheh.. For the same reason though.

Laurie said...

I haven't done sibling gifts this year. I guess I'll have to make a decision pretty soon though. It's so much effort, but so much fun for the kids. I just feel so out numbered in the store and with Ken working so much it's hard to do it alone. I've thought about either homemade gifts (which I know will NOT be a big hit) or doing girls buy for boys and boys buy for girls. I guess I'll decide tomorrow. Oh, and I'm hoping to do the Christmas Hoopla tag tomorrow so check my blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...