***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Who wanted cupcakes anyway..................

FireFireFire
Yesterday Noah and I made cupcakes. He kept telling me they were for Nutmeg's birthday, but really they were just because they sounded good. (I love Nutmeg and she is spoiled, but I don't buy her presents and make her cakes, that's a little extreme!) So, we mixed them up and baked the first batch. After I took them out, I put the potholder on the cupboard and filled the cupcake pan again for the last batch. When they were ready to come out Noah came with me to the kitchen---He always stands on the far side of the kitchen when I take things out of the oven---I picked up the potholder, and reached for the pan, but apparently I had laid the potholder down on a wet spot earlier and when I picked up the hot pan, the steam from that wet spot started to burn my fingers. It went something like this....................
Fire Fire Fire
*I let out a like yell and dropped the pan.
*All the cupcakes bounced out of the pan onto the bottom of the oven, some landing on the heating element.
*Noah's across the room yelling, "what did you do that for?"
*2 of my fingers are in serious pain and I know I need to get some ice
*the cupcakes on the heating element start to burn
*Noah's yelling, "you're ruining the cupcakes!"
*My fingers are burning, the cupcakes are burning and I'm trying to decide which to take care of first
*smoke starts billowing out of the oven, so I decide to deal with the cupcakes first
*Noah, jumping up and down---"you're starting a fire"
*I turned off the oven and used a wooden spoon to move/scrape the burned cupcakes off the heating element, that should at least stop the smoke
*My fingers (on my right hand) are still burning and I'm getting rather frustrated
*The cupcakes stop smoking, but my kitchen is now filled with smoke
*I turn on the fan and vent and open the kitchen windows and hope that the neighbors don't call the fire department when they smell smoke
*Noah stops jumping up and down and states, "I'm not eating those cupcakes! They're nasty", which when Noah says it sounds like na-he
*things are under control, but there are still cupcakes on the bottom of the oven
*We have an electric oven, so it takes quite awhile for it to cool down, so I'm a little worried that the cupcakes will continue to burn on the bottom of the oven.
*Noah, states flatly, "you can't just leave them there"
*He's getting s bit annoying, really
*I took my tongs and carefully plucked all those cupcakes out of the oven
*Got a small ice pack with a damp cloth for my fingers that still feel like they're on fire
*My kitchen is freezing cold because the windows are open, half the cupcakes are ruined and I have a blister on one of my fingers, but the house didn't burn down!
FireFireFireFire
Yesterday evening I was showing my blister to Chad and explaining what had happened while Noah sat listening. When I was finished he came over and looked at my finger and said, "it's a pretty small blister, mom, and now we can't eat the cupcakes." Chad told him that when you burn yourself it hurts really bad. Noah kissed my finger and walked away. We could hear him mumbling, "it doesn't look like it hurts" on his way out of the room.







5 Comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you burned your fingers...I'm still laughing about this experience though! Noah was SO looking forward to those cupcakes. :-)

Katy said...

OH NO!!!! How awful!!!! I hope your burn heals OK!!!! Burns are the worst!

Laurie said...

Wsy yo go, Mom!! I think that somedays we are our children's biggest frustrations. Hope your fingers feel better today. Funny story!

Laurie said...

Oops! I meant to write: Way to go, Mom! (I obviously didn't read what I wrote before I published it. Sorry!!)

Life ticks on said...

I am so sorry that happened to you. Good thing you did it there and not here. Here you might have gotten your house flooded :) There is still smoke everywhere here. YUCK!~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...