***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Noah to the Dentist..............

Noah had a check up at the dentist this morning. Brushing It's not the first time he's been at the dentist. He's been twice before for cleanings/checkups and he's been great! He even let them take x-rays at his very first visit!

TantrumHowever, that was NOT the case today. He decided before we left that he didn't want to go today and he stuck to his guns. He wouldn't sit in the chair, not even with me. He wouldn't talk to anyone. He wouldn't look at anyone. He'd only let her clean his teeth with a regular toothbrush. He barely let her floss. He refused to do the fluoride treatment and he would only let the dentist look at his teeth if he got to sit on my lap while he checked them. There was no deals to be made with him.............I told him he wouldn't get the prize when we left unless he cooperated and he said that he didn't care. It was frustrating for me. He was absolutley determined that he wasn't going to do it and there was nothing I could do, short of pinning him down, screaming, and force him to cooperate. (I chose to spare us all that wonderful experience) Noah hasn't thrown this kind of a fit for a long time. I had hoped that he'd outgrown them. He's just so headstrong sometimes (that's a nice way of saying that he's stubborn---with a capital S!) They were very nice, though, and very patient with him, more patient than I was!

The dentist did tell me his teeth looked very good and the dental assistant told me that he has great spacing. That made me happy, at least!Flossing

When we left, I told Noah I wasn't happy about the way he acted and that I expected him to behave better than that next time because next time he have to do everything they said, no matter what. He just smiled and told me that next time he'd let them clean his teeth they way they wanted to. Grrrrrr Maybe next time, dad should take him!





4 Comments:

Life ticks on said...

Cindy is this a peds dentist or a family dentist? I know a good peds dentist can make all the difference in the world. We found one here in San Diego and she is AWESOME! and my kids love her. They are so excited for her (we went this week too) because she is going to have a baby in January. Anyways I know the frustration but my kids love going because all the chairs have kids shows playing and the waiting room is decked out with PS2's and Game Cube games for them to play. And blocks for the smaller ones.

Cindy said...

It's a peds dentist and normally he's great about going.

Katy said...

oh, what a stinker...kids are funny like that sometimes, aren't they? (ok..not haha funny...but just strange) I hope he cooperates the next time! That is great though that his teeth are looking so great! :)

Maine Mom said...

Very frustrating!...why do kids have to have mood swings like we do???

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...