***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Home is where the "Heart" is..............

My sister posted this picture on her blog. She took it when she went home to Wyoming this summer. It's a picture of Heart Mountain, just north of Cody, Wyoming.
I'm sure to most people this mountain doesn't seem all that pretty. It's not very green, there aren't a lot of trees, but to me it's beautiful. It's home.
When I was growing up, I probably saw this mountain everyday, whether I took the time to notice it or not. Chad grew up at the base of this mountain. He's climbed/biked to it's summit. This picture made me cry. It made me miss home so bad. It's been over two years since we've been home. That's been hard for us. It's hard to be so far away from the people and the things that we love. Will we ever live in Cody again???? Probably not, but it will always be so close to our hearts. It's where our roots are and it will always be home!
Just a little FYI..........Did you know that it is 8,123 ft. high? Did you know that scientists say that the top of the mountain is 350 million years old, but that the base is only 55 million years old? (that would make the top 300 million years older than it's base!) Did you know that Cody's sits 5,016 feet above sea level? And did you know that when you drive I80 through Wyoming that you are somewhere between 6,700-7,100 feet about sea level? Did you know that I knew that???This is a picture of the mountains west of Cody, Cedar and Rattlesnake Mountains. If you follow this highway it will take you through the canyon between these two moutains, past the resevoir behind them, and through the valley to Yellowstone Park. It's beautiful! There is also another mountain south of Cody, Carter Mountain.
So, to all those people out there that say "I've been through Wyoming............boring!" I say, "if all you've done is drive across Interstate 80, then you haven't seen Wyoming!

5 Comments:

Your favorite sister said...

Hmmm, I wonder who you are talking about?! I have to tell you, besides our little stop in the town with the population of 2, Wyoming did not provide a lot of excitement!

But,I understand your feelings. Let me tell you, Guam is nothing like the Northwest. And it makes me homesick!

Cindy said...

Actually, I wasn't talking about JUST you! ha ha ;)

Unknown said...

This was nice to hear about where you and Chad grew up.

I love your "Home is where the Navy sends us" sign, too. :-)

Katy said...

I am so sorry you miss home! That would be awful! I have lived in the same town my whole life..and i would be soo homesick if i had to leave. i hope you can visit your hometown again sometime soon :D. Thanks so much for your wonderful comment on my blog! It was so sweet! :)

Laurie said...

Cindy, you are an amazing person. I just love you. This post made me cry. I admire the strength you have as your family continues to sacrifice for our country's freedoms. Thank you! I wish I could give you a hug. I love getting to know you better through your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...