***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Thursday, September 28, 2006

My little Lucky #7

McKaylie started soccor 2 weeks ago. She was very excited about it, but she got off to a bumpy start. They practice once a week and then have one or two games on Saturday. She enjoyed the first practice, but when it came time to play the first game, she wouldn't play. In fact she cried and whined about it until I'd had enough and we left early. I'm thinking that part of the problem was that she was tired, but I also think that part of the problem was her older brother. The week before her game he kept making comments like, "I can't believe you're going to play a game after only one practice" and "you know all the parents will be watching you at the game, McKaylie". I kept telling him to stop and that these little guys play soccor to have fun, but I think it sunk into her little brain more than I thought. Darn those older brothers!So, we talked about how playing soccor is for fun and that she doesn't need to worry about anyone watching. She got excited again and was looking forward to her practice that Monday. Monday night rolled around, we went to practice, and she wouldn't play................and then she started crying again.................and whining.......................I was already completely frustrated that night anyway, so we left early. again. We talked again, about just having fun and also that she started something and that I wanted her to finish it. I asked her to give it a chance because I thought she'd really like it. I also told her that she was #7 and that a lot of people think that #7 is a lucky number. She said she'd play at her game on Saturday. I was a little skeptical, so this time I rallied the troops before the game. I called Miss Candy and asked if she wanted to come watch, too. So, with mom, grandma, Miss Candy, Myshel and Noah cheering her on, she played! And she was great! I was really proud of her for just going out there and trying. I think her favorite part was the juice box and snack afterwards, but that's ok, too. I think once she relaxes more out there, she's really going to like playing. And, even though they don't keep score, McKaylie's team won...............just for the record!!
It was so much fun watching these little 5 and 6 year olds play soccor. They're so full of energy and want to do a good job. We found ourselves cheering for both teams most of the time. I think it's so much more fun that way and the kids love it! There was a dad there that day who had a son on McKaylie's team and a daughter on the green team. He appreciated us cheering for both teams too!


0 Comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...