***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Monday, August 7, 2006

Traffic, Miniature Golf, and More Traffic

We went miniature golfing on Saturday. It was with the housing, of course. I really considered not doing this activity because it was in Williamsburg, which isn't really a long ways away from us, but there's several areas to go through where traffic can be bad. I figured it was Saturday, there wouldn't be any rush hour traffic...............it really shouldn't be so bad. I don't think I've ever been so wrong in my life!!!!! We hit traffic at the bridge/tunnel. I expected that though. Then we drove all the way past Newport News (this might not mean much for those of you who don't know the area, sorry about that) which under normal conditions only left about 20 minutes of driving. Notice I said normal conditions...............we hit an unbelieveable backup! I think there was an accident, but I'm not sure. Anyway, what should have taken 20 minutes took us about an 1 1/2 hours. If I could have taken an exit and gone back, I would have! To make matters worse, Myshel had to go to the bathroom for the last 30 minutes or so. By the time we got to somewhere we could stop, she could barely walk. (I know, I'm such a mean mother to put that in here) I felt bad for her, but since she wouldn't go on the side of the road there was little I could do, not that I want my 13 year old daughter to do that...........

So we did finally get there and the golfing was a lot of fun. The golf course has a pirates theme and it had lots of waterfalls and cannons and ships and on and on. There were 2 different 18 hole courses we could golf on. We only played about 27 holes, I think. Half way through the second one we got too hot and tired, but it was fun. The kids were great to watch. Once everyone teed off, it was like a free for all for the hole. I couldn't get them to slow down and take turns either, but they were having fun and that's what we went there to do. Vance and I each got a hole in one, too! They had some greens that went behind the waterfalls and some went into caves and some went over bridges.................we had to fish several of our golfballs out of the water several times! Golfing was fun the drive home was not...............

Again we hit traffic just outside of Williamsburg. This time I took the first exit into Newport News and drove through the city and got back on the interstate on the other side of the Newport News. The traffic was clear there, so I had high hopes. It didn't last. We got into the Hampton area and it went downhill fast. I don't know if there was an accident or a break-down or what, but traffic was backed up for miles, not just heavy traffic, stop and go traffic and for awhile completely stopped traffic. So, once again, what should have taken us about 30 minutes in normal conditions took us, get this, a whoppin' 2 1/2 hours!!! I am not kidding. I was so exhausted when we finally got home that I didn't want to do anything!

While we were sitting there I wondered if the miniature golfing was worth all that. And then when we finally got through the tunnel and clear of the back up Vance said this, "man mom, I think we spent more time in traffic than we did playing golf" and he was right, we did. I still haven't decided if it was worth it, I'm leaning toward NOT!

0 Comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...