***

"So Frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time."
***President Thomas S. Monson (Ensign May 1994)

Friday, May 12, 2006

Flirting.....................



I had to laugh the other day when I read MaineMom's blog about how her first grader's class was talking about having boyfriend/girlfriends. I thought of McKaylie telling me that her "boyfriend" broke up with her and was another girl's boyfriend and then broke up with that girl to be McKaylie's boyfriend again. She's in Kindergarten, for crying out loud!! So, I enjoyed knowing that it's not just my daughter who's playing boyfriend/girlfriend a little earlier than I'd like. I think it's kind of cute. (as long as it stays innocent!)

However..................Last night as I waited at the church for my kids to get done with their activites, I watched Myshel. Myshel is used to having a brother to pick on and try to pick a fight with. Of course, with her brother, he picks back. He doesn't just stand there and take it. Last night, though, I watched her "picking/pestering" another boy. It wasn't anything major. Nothing much different than what she'd do with Vance. She kept pestering him, trying to egg him on and he took it and just played along, almost encouraging her to keep it up. He's a very well-mannered young man and one of the few in our ward that I like, and that Myshel likes as well. They were being a little roudy considering they were in the church, so, I told Myshel to quit and remember where she was. Patrick, the young man, said, "it's ok, she's not bothering me". His scout master said "yes, but it's bothering her mother". I told her, "that's enough in the church" and it ended. They walked off. I watched them go and knew that I'd just witnessed for the first time my daughter flirting with a boy and he was enjoying it and basically flirting back. It was completely innocent. They didn't do anything wrong........BUT, she's only 13..........and he's 16. It's an unsettling thought to me. I went home and emailed Chad, told him all about it, because I'm not going to be the only parent of Myshel's to have that thought burned into their mind. I know that no matter how much I deny it, my kids will grow up, but, that doesn't mean I have to enjoy everything about it! McKaylie talking about boyfriends was cute. Myshel flirting with boys, not so much! Friendly





3 Comments:

Your favorite sister said...

Oh my goodness! Harm talks about boyfriend stuff all the time and I know it is just teasing. But wow I can wait until she is 13! I don't even want to deal with that!Can I tease her on Sunday? Or I can tell Ben so that when he gets back he can tease her! :)

Cindy said...

Oh please don't tease her or tell Ben. Right now, Myshel's ok with me being around and hearing things. I don't want that to change. Ok!!!

Your favorite sister said...

All right, I will be nice! Just for you though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...